Greetings!

Welcome to FARCulinary! It is a food blog managed for food enthusiasts like you who are looking for Fun, Affordable, and Relatable culinary adventures! You don't have to be super fancy to experience tasty food! Enjoy :)

Monday 27 May 2013

Rumah Makan Baji Pamai and Rumah Makan Marannu: Authentic Ujung Pandang Food

Last week, I was wandering around Boulevard Street Kelapa Gading and texted my friend: "Do you have any recommendations of food worth-trying here?" And she replied: "Just try out anything randomly. Everything on that street is guaranteed delicious." It's true indeed. This area is considered to be one of so many Jakarta's food paradiso. Seafood, Japanese, authentic Indonesian, Chinese, Malaysian, all genres of food, you name it. They're here.

Being an insecure tummy that I am, I decided not to try out on anything new and went to two of my subscribed restaurants: Rumah Makan Baji Pamai and Rumah Makan Marannu. Both  serve authentic Ujung Pandang food. I've been a loyal customer in both restaurants since I was in kindergarten. Lately, I haven't visited in a while.

First, I went to Rumah Makan Baji Pamai. Located on Boulevard Street, next to Nasi Kenanga. Its specialty is Bakmi Ujung Pandang. I saw the place had been upgraded here and there. The design is way cleaner and more modern, and how I love the bathroom. The closet's been upgraded with seating and eco-washer, like those you would encounter in big malls. It's kinda out of topic, but I really appreciate restaurants that provide comfortable bathrooms for the customers. Hygiene first!


Bakmi Spesial Kecil
IDR 26000

Bakmi Biasa Kecil
IDR 24000

The  noodles was like nothing you ever tasted. I couldn't recall any kind of Chinese noodle that has an alike texture. This noodle was big and thick like spaghetties, but chewy and curly like Chinese noodles. It's unique in all of its entity. I ordered Bakmi Spesial and Bakmi Biasa. They were just the same, only that the Spesial had more pork toppings and the chicken toppings was the breast part, while the Biasa was the thigh part.

One portion is served with three dumplings and you can ask whether you want 'em all to be fried or boiled. Or you can have both, boiled and fried. For me personally, the small portion was already fulfilling enough. Probably it was the noodles, because they're so thick and chewy.

Next, I went to Rumah Makan Marannu, still on the same street, but it's on the other side of the street, across Indomart.

Es Pisang Ijo

Coto Makassar

Konro Bakar

I forgot all of the prices and didn't keep the receipt either, but they were probably ranged from IDR 20000-50000.

The Es Pisang Ijo wasn't really like the modern version that you would find in booths or food stalls, it is more of the traditional kind, only consists of banana, shaved ice, vla, and syrup. No other overrated toppings such as cheese, or chocolate, etc. The smooth texture of the green coat; the sweetness of the vla, banana and syrup all combined in one bowl is a heaven-like combo.

The meat in the Coto and the Konro Bakar was cooked just right. They might look too small at first, but after finishing it, trust me for regular tummies, you would be full. In the right amount. The Konro Bakar was served with peanut sauce (almost satay-sauce like) and a bowl of coto soup, which I found pretty useful to neutralize all the greasiness from the meat and the savory from the sauce.

When planning to visit Marannu, I suggest that you don't wash your hair first, and try not to wear your best outfit, because it would be such a waste. The whole place will be covered with smokes from the roaster and the griller, and they will patched onto your body instantly.

Overall, if you want a good ol' dose of Ujung Pandang food in Jakarta, make sure to visit these places. In my opinion, Marannu still serves the best Konro Bakar in town. Nothing can beat it, so far. So if you have anything in mind, that could probably beat Marannu to second place, just lemme know!

Have a great day, and enjoy your meal wherever you are now! Godspeed :)

No comments:

Post a Comment