Greetings!

Welcome to FARCulinary! It is a food blog managed for food enthusiasts like you who are looking for Fun, Affordable, and Relatable culinary adventures! You don't have to be super fancy to experience tasty food! Enjoy :)

Thursday 25 September 2014

Otosan Japanese Restaurant & Suki: Zomato Foodie Meet Up!

Last week, I was invited to a foodie meet up held by my favourite foodie website, Zomato. Thank you so much for the invitation, Shabrina! The meetup was held at Otosan Japanese Restaurant & Suki in Jalan Sabang, Central Jakarta.

This is the first time I have ever heard about Otosan. Talkin' about suki and/or shabu-shabu, any other names would pop up in my head other than Otosan. This even made me more excited since I would get to try new menu at a totally unfamiliar restaurant.

We were greeted warmly by Zomato team and Ivan, the owner of the restaurant. Between menus, Ivan always spared the time to explain the origins of the dish, and I really appreciate that. I love it when I know what I eat and how it was created, it makes me feel like I'm in the middle of a date with my food. *hug food*

Lychee Kult
 This is totally perfect for a hot summer-y day like that day!

Salmon Soyu Don
Oh, how do I even start with this. Beside from the slightly (and when I said slightly, I mean it, it was really really slightly) overcooked rice, this dish was just perfect! The salmon was nicely-cooked, with a sprinkle of fried garlic on top, which gave it a hint of crunch and saltiness. The rice and butter combination melted in your mouth instantly. Ivan said they managed to get the recipe right after trial-and-error for about 20 times. 20. I hope those 20 precious pieces of salmon didn't get to be thrown away.. *drools*


Yellow Submarine
  That yellow coat on top is supposed to be mango sauce, but it didn't tasted like mango at all. In a good way.

Okinawa Roll

Suki: Enoki mushroom, Chikuwa, Oborosuki, Horenso, Beef slice

Suki situation *waddup*
Suki with Tom Yam broth. Soo-keeeh.. *in Bill Compton's voice*
They have three kinds of broth. Spicy, sweet and tom yam. The broth was made with fresh salmon bones, so they tasted a tad lighter than other usual suki broth you may find in other restaurants. Ivan said it took them 40 times trial-and-error to achieve the perfect broth that they have now.

Cawan Pudding
This is exactly my style! Silky steamed egg pudding with maple syrup and cheese. It tasted like creme brulee, but no burnt caramel-on-top part (not that that burnt caramel part was bad either).

Summer Spring Roll
The perfect roll to refresh your taste bud after the attack of suki broth and the awesome buttery salmon soyu don.

Kyoho Kult
This beverage consists of Yakult and real grape nectar. The grapes were soaked in water (or was it honey? Or was it sugar water? I forgot) for days until all the sugar leaked and voila, the perfect nectar was born.

I really enjoy my lunch at Otosan. I might be back for more Salmon Soyu Don and Cawan Pudding. The suki broth was a little bit light for my liking, I prefer something heavier like the one they have in Little Sheep Restaurant, but put that aside, nothing's wrong with the broth. The beverages are surprisingly so good and refreshing. I had three glasses of Kult drinks that day, because it was literally freaking hot out there and the drinks were that refreshing (or maybe I was that greedy).

I would totally recommend Otosan for those of you who are into Japanese fusion food and/or suki, this is totally the place that will suit you.

Have an awesome meal wherever you are! Godspeed <3

All the happy tummies :)
Photo credit: Ayu Pratiwi

No comments:

Post a Comment